Garages are typically purpose-built spaces, utilised to shield automobiles and store surplus items, but what if you possessed the versatility to transform your garage into a livable area? Maybe you have one fewer car to protect or recently underwent a decluttering process, and desire to convert this area into a fitness center or a recreation room – by acquiring an insulated garage entrance, you can accomplish this effortlessly. As garage doors lacking insulation can result in extremely frigid and uninhabitable spaces, continue reading to explore the numerous advantages of insulated garage doors and the varieties of garage doors that can be implemented.
The significance and perks of insulated garage doors
- Energy-efficient: Insulated garage doors will retain the warmth during the winter and keep the heat at bay in the summer. This implies that your garage will uphold a moderate temperature, which could ultimately lead to savings on your energy bills, as you would require less heating. Maintaining a comfortable climate will make your garage more appealing to utilise and, consequently, it will become a more practical extension of your residence.
- Sound absorption: Insulation will diminish noise originating from both the exterior and interior of your garage. Whether your neighbor embarks on their typical early morning lawn mowing routine or you enjoy playing loud music, the noise will be absorbed, ensuring neither party is affected. Insulation will also result in quieter operation of the garage door. Sufficient insulation will reinforce the door, minimising bothersome rattles and squeaks. However, if you happen to notice any peculiar mechanical sounds, it is crucial to have a professional inspect it to ensure that vital components are not damaged.
- Sturdier doors: Insulated garage doors possess enhanced strength compared to their non-insulated counterparts. With greater resistance to dents and damages, insulated garage doors have a longer lifespan and are better equipped to endure the ever-changing elements like wind, rain, and sun – elements that would otherwise shorten their longevity.
- Comfortable living: With a pleasant temperature within your garage, it will evolve into a frequently utilised space that feels like an integral part of your home – an ideal scenario if your garage is attached to your residence.
- Reduced energy expenses: You are likely to observe a significant difference in your energy bills.
- Practical garage space: With an insulated garage, the internal environment is anticipated to be more than 20 degrees warmer than the external temperature.
- Three times quieter: Insulated garage doors minimise noise by up to 16 decibels, proving advantageous if there are bedrooms adjacent to your garage occupied by other individuals.
- Enhanced curb appeal: Insulated garage doors provide a broader range of options to choose from, including various colors, styles, and materials. All of these factors enable you to customise the perfect garage door, precisely tailored to complement the exterior of your home.
Different types of garage door insulation comprise:
- Fiberglass Batt Insulation
- Rigid Foam Insulation
- Spray Foam Insulation
- Cellulose Insulation
Which garage doors are optimal for insulation and energy efficiency?
Certain materials exhibit better insulation properties naturally, thus here is a list detailing the expected performance of specific garage door types.
- Swinging garage doors: Unfortunately, swinging doors lack the ability to be partially opened like side-hinged garage doors. Consequently, when opened, all the warmth escapes and cold air enters. While this may be pleasant on a warm day, during cold weather, you might prefer an alternative entrance.
- Wooden garage doors: Thick timber is always advantageous as it inherently provides sufficient insulation.
- Fiberglass garage doors: Glass reinforced polyester (GRP) serves as a naturally insulating material, making it an excellent choice for a sturdy garage door. This material does not warp or rust and requires minimal maintenance.
- Roll-up garage doors: Due to the operation of roll-up garage doors, they are typically thin, around 19mm. However, the insulation of a roll-up door can be enhanced by using insulated slats and rubber or brush weather seals.
- Steel garage doors: While there are various advantages to steel garage doors, they generally have poor insulation. However, this can be remedied by adding insulation to the door.
Improving the insulation of your garage door
- Seal gaps: Ensure that there are no gaps around windows, doors, pipes, electrical sockets, and vents, as this prevents the escape or entry of air. Additionally, check the weather stripping at the bottom of the garage door to prevent drafts. If it is worn out, replace it with a new one.
- Consider small heaters: Use small heaters to provide immediate heat, especially if you spend a short time in the garage doing tasks like laundry or tidying up. However, exercise caution as these heaters pose a fire hazard when in proximity to sawdust and chemicals. This is important to note when engaging in DIY projects or storing cleaning/oil-based products.
- Insulate your current garage door: Garage doors primarily serve as security measures rather than thermal barriers. Nevertheless, you can improve the temperature comfort by adding insulation to your existing garage door.
- Invest in a new, insulated garage door: If your garage remains uncomfortably cold despite attempts to insulate, consider purchasing a new garage door. Not only will it provide better warmth, but it will also enhance security and aesthetics.
If you are uncertain about the insulation level in your garage, consult a local professional who can offer advice and suggest the ideal solution. DIY attempts can sometimes lead to undesirable outcomes, so it is best to seek expert guidance for optimal results. By doing so, you can ensure the proper functioning of the door’s mechanisms.
With more than 20 years of experience in the industry and a wide selection of garage doors to choose from, you can rely on us to provide a garage door that matches your preferences, style, and budget. Camber Garage Doors offers free home visits at your convenience, so call today to schedule an appointment. We are always ready to assist you. Serving customers in Haslemere, Guildford, Fleet, Farnham, Godalming, Petersfield and Camberley.